Writing.
Writers. Literature. I have been saying so much about these lately. I notice.
But for a good reason.
I ponder about literature all the time. All the f… (How it aches to not use the word) time. You reckon that once this seizure swoops down on you, you can’t help but oblige. It’s like flu. You know what flu does to you?
You bolt. It catches up with you. You
pull away, it yanks you back. You pretend to mind other things. It wrests you from their grip. It’s hopeless tryna resist. The more you do, the more you
excite the wasps of literature.
If you grew up where I did, you probably
know a wasp sting is helluva an experience.
Finally you throw in the towel. Here you
look like you’ve come from the wringer. Pounding. Bashing. All that shit.
I’m a
captive. A sorry prisoner? A proud slave? Do I know? Lemme see. Actually, I dunno
my state. That’s another trashy feeling. Terrible. Not knowing my state. Tell
me, is there worse?
Today I’ll
share how writing has changed me. It has. A great deal. I feel violated
against. Like a victim of rape. Because what writing does to you is worse than
rape is capable of doing.
Before I
began writing, now four years ago –fancy four years of servitude –I was this
courtly bloke in whose mouth butter could not melt. A Mr. Goodie-two-shoes.
About if I have dementia I don’t know,
but of whether my thinking and behaviour have gone off the tangent, I could
never be in doubt.
The fit makes impromptu attacks. Not
with stealth. With a boom. Right when your arse is as empty as a spent
cartridge. You try to sit but all your derrière does is swing in the chair,
like someone with stormy bowels.
The other day I took a bus home. I
thought a ride would ease the weight in my cranium. Buses where the touts are so loutish and music
so blaring you think passengers had signed up for an eardrum torturing session.
Those.
So I was seated next to these two middle-aged
mamas. Is mamas courteous to say?
The duet were conversing in the highest decibels as though in contention with
the raucous music. But how sanely else would they when the environment that was
so damn like Hades?
That’s not what was striking about them.
Rather their language. Whatever tongue it is that they were using, because I won’t
lie that I could comprehend a darn thing. Snoopy. Me snoopy.
You must have heard of the bullshit of a
writer’s block? No? You shoulda. I’m not gonna talk about this. Or should I?
Fine.
The search for creative triggers
compels one to do absolutely crass things. Sometimes I choose to eat out at
joints popular with young people. Those joints that are so full of patrons clad
in all manner of outrageous outfits and behave like five-year olds.
As a man approaching forty, you realise
you’re in strange territory when you hear everyone sing along to Shawn Mendes’
song. You Google it later. Treat you
Better is the title.
Writing makes you a pervert. Your
imaginative mind becomes a troll that is so hard to tether once you immerse
yourself into the pool that is pen and paper. What would you say when someone sees
everything in life from a purely debauched POV?
Knitting erotic scenes particularly
whittles down your moral fibre. If you
own that.
Picture this. You’re talking to your
supervisor, or any other person you hold in high regard. But your creative mind
wanders away, undresses her, starts stroking her nipple, asks her to bend over,
dress raised.
Your mind then then starts to tease her
cast-iron nude butt, and tugging at her…apple.
Am I saying too much? That’s far from
worse.
As a writer, you become reckless. By
design. Financial ruin doesn’t trouble you in the least. Profanity becomes a
companion. Ill thoughts a staple. You stop caring a rap about decency.
And indulgence. Most a writers lead
larger-than-life kinda lifestyles. Like a prince royal. Sapping at all the
gorgeous splendours that life has to offer. On credit. Or anything. What you call
champagne on a beer budget.
You find carnage flattering. Any carnage.
Blood, distress and wretchedness electrifies your cursed mind.
See? Writing is not the kind of risk to
plunge into. If you already have, chin up bruh, hun. It’s a brutal intercourse for which you dropped your undies. It’s more than taking a bullet for someone you don’t like. Let
alone one you don’t love.
Or cooling off your hot balls on the nose of an angry Rottweiler. Would you do that, folks? I bet not.
There is money in writing. Lots. But of what use is money with so much heartache?
Or cooling off your hot balls on the nose of an angry Rottweiler. Would you do that, folks? I bet not.
There is money in writing. Lots. But of what use is money with so much heartache?
There is talk of how
ugly enslavement is. But no servitude could get uglier than that of the mind.
And you don’t earn your freedom back. Even when you’re old and frail that
holding a pen is like trying to fart while holding your goddamned breath.
But we grin and move
on.
Imma drop my pen now.



I relate to each word you wrote in this piece, especially the part about feeling enslaved and battling between reality and fantasy. I wouldn't trade writing for anything else though.
ReplyDeleteWell written piece! Bravo!
Lucky, forever indebted to you. It is a relief to know that the feeling is shared. I too cannot leave this path.
Deletewonderful! Muses above all!
ReplyDeleteMr. Njeri, you clearly understand how this feels. It's a bondage.
DeleteYet another juicy piece. You rock it, "just like what the flu does to me". Am humbled. Nice one bruh!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Erick. Literature flu is terrible.
Delete