Wednesday, 21 October 2015

HELL THAT IS LIFE AS AN INTERN



On that July morning, the weather was sullen, and so were the office colleagues. Few people engaged, for most seemed sizably gripped in the pile of work on their desks. The atmosphere was thus still, except for an occasional ring of phone at the supervisor’s work-station, which would break the menacing quietness.
Today, my third day here, I had reported to work with confidence full tank.  After having had a relatively peaceable one the day earlier, I had bet every bean on this to be a success.

I was wrong.

“There are some characters who still don’t know why they are here.” Betty’s voice rented the air.

She was our beat supervisor. Ruthless, authoritative but pretty. I wondered how so beautiful a body could house so bitter, so stony, so cold a heart.

Who that spiteful and double-barreled remark targeted, I wasn’t sure, yet somehow, I knew I was subject to it.

I did not wait long to know. I did not have to.

“James!” yelled she, her eyes darting around the room, searching.

‘What have I done?’ I wondered silently.

Everyone’s chair creaked, and all faces were planted on my empty sitting position. I had left for a momentary gossip with a colleague at her desk.

Lorna was a fellow intern, though she had been here for a month.  She had known everyone around by now, and somehow got along pretty well with the staff. She was comely, and with a good heart to match.

She was my instant crush.

Inside, I was petrified, yet I was not ready for a dish of scorn and contempt for dessert that Betty would sure serve me for leaving my station so early, for a female’s desk, which was abhorrent a misdemea nour  under her roof.

I kept still in my corner of misery and horror. I knew it was bold a move, and careless too.

Seeing no one that would probably drain her strong feelings, she sat with an air of disgruntled vehemence, and twitching her bottom against the chair in that manner of hers that marked ire.

Still unsatisfied, and banging her table: “Where is this harum scarum?”

Sir! I had not before heard that phrase, or known what it meant. But whatever on earth it was, I had a strong hunch that it was not among the pleasant kind.

Defying Lorna’s attempt to stop me, I rose and advertised my presence. 

Everyone swallowed hard.

The supervisor’s gaze soon caught me. From the way she eyed me, I expected her to spew me with endless insults. I was mystified plumb, and just sighed waiting for my dramatic dressing-down. Interestingly, everyone watched with stupendous anxiety. It is such drama that ignited the office to life.

“Come get me some doughnuts,” she finally said, where I exhaled with massive relief.

As though this were an anticlimax to an eagerly awaited concert, chairs and faces resumed their positions, with an apparent air of deflation.

I rose, slightly ashamed but feigning composure, the latter that was on agonizing trial, and walked to where she was.

Giving me a look for which motive I failed to divine, except for a stoical face, she handed me the cash, saying nothing, but signaling two.
I stepped out.
#####

Ironically, I didn’t have the scantiest idea on where to start. Nairobi’s Upperhill area is an office, courts, insurance and other high-profile business section. It is not the place where you easily get to spot a food vendor. Hawkers do not touch the locality with a barge pole, for Nairobi County officials are ever on the scruff of their necks.

I had only one option: walking to town…

No comments:

Post a Comment